Thursday - June 1, 2017
The ASEAN and Emerging Market Economies, when combined, have very strong growth potential and opportunities for robotics and automation. This is in part due to the large and vibrant population in these countries and their market potential. In the ASEAN & Emerging Country Forum at ICRA 2017, you will learn about the size and potential of the market in the region. Some of the topics and areas of needs and opportunities identified:
- The 4th Industrial Revolution and what it means for the region
- Food security - ASEAN is one of the world’s food baskets. Topics include agriculture, fisheries, vertical farming
- Disaster mitigation - Learning from lessons in Fukushima earthquake in Japan and super typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines and how can drones and humanoids help
- Medical and healthcare robotics - The ASEAN and the Emerging Market Economies include some of the most prosperous countries as well as countries that are having economic difficulties at this time. Can innovative medical and healthcare robotics help bridge the disparity in providing affordable health care? How?
- Oil exploration and industrial maintenance - Tied with the rapid industrial developments in these countries is the hunger for energy. How can robotics technologies be used in search for energy sources for the future?
- Frugal innovation - Given the talent and diversity in the region, how can strategies in frugal innovation drive growth in robotics and automation?
- Opportunities for collaboration - The forum will discuss opportunities for scholarships and student exchanges. Initial plans for the formation of ASEAN Robotics Society will be discussed.
- Erdal Kayacan (Nanyang Technological University)
- Jackrit Suthakorn (Mahidol University, Thailand)
- Ching Seong Tan (Multimedia University, Malaysia; Terra-Phoenix Sdn Bhd; iCYCLE Malaysia Sdn Bhd)
- Lakmal Seneviratne (Khalifa University, United Arab Emirates )
- Prahlad Vaddakeppat (National University of Singapore)
- Marcelo Ang (National University of Singapore)
- John-John Cabibihan (Qatar University)
ASEAN members: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
Emerging Market Economies: Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Greece, Hungary, India, Mexico, Peru, Poland, Qatar, Russia, South Africa, Taiwan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, including some of the countries in ASEAN.
(Definition: An emerging market economy is a nation's economy that is progressing toward becoming advanced, as shown (1) by some liquidity in local debt and equity markets and (2) the existence of some form of market exchange and (3) regulatory body. List of countries provided by IMF, Dow Jones, etc.)